Saturday, November 17, 2007

Just Thoughts

No picutres this afternoon, just thoughts about this place.

1.) To cross the street here, just like in the states they have lights that show a green person moving, or a red person standing up. Now they might have this in the states, but here the green person is actually an animated LED display that shows a green figure walking. And what does this figure do when the light is about to turn? It actually starts beeping faster and running! The animated display speeds up!

2.) I went to eat KFC (Its HUGE down here) the other day because I was simply had the urge for Fried Chicken (don´t tell me you´ve never had it). And next to this KFC joint is a joint that says ¨Menestras de Negros¨ which literally means: ¨Vegtable stew of the Black People¨ and what do they have next to the sign? A picture of a little black baby with a piece of fried chicken in its mouth! And guess what else? Its a chain! Now I´m not one for strict political correctness, but I think this crossed the line.

3.) I don´t know why the record industry is going after the single mom in Minnosota to something to the tune of like 80,000 dollars when pirating DVDS and CD is like the third biggest industry in South America (alright I might have made that last part up). There is an actual store (and this I am not kidding about) on every block selling pirated DVDs. So I go to get one and buy the Bourne Supremacy for a dollar. I throw it in and I am sort of getting into it despite the really really bad quality, and then I notice something´s wrong. This is not a sitcom, but I still hear laughing at the punch lines. Then people start getting up to go the restroom towards the end of the movie.... I was had again.

4.) For any of the curious out there, there is a hotel Alcatraz in San Vicente, Ecuador on the coast. It was hard, but I decided not to stay there when I went to beach last weekend.

5.) (this is for dad) Second story concrete forms here are held up by several hundred bamboo trunks.

6.) Passed by a dirt bike today, with one seat, and how many people were on it? 4: Dad, Mom, 15 year old kid, and 4 year old. Hey, at least if they had a wreck there wouldn´t be anyone left behind.

Hope everyone is well and has a good thanksgiving. I will be teaching a class; turns out they don´t celebrate thanksgiving down here even though they have a street named after ¨Jorge Washington¨

MHS III

No comments: